Pages

Saturday, September 29, 2012

Pin Fail (aka- Who needs a laugh today?)

So almost anyone who has attempted to replicate some 'pins' on Pinterest has been here:  Someone pins something adorable/tasty/eye catching/whatever with a title exclaiming how easy it is, and so you want to try it too!

And then you find out, it is not quite so easy.  Or maybe they missed a few steps in the tutorial.  It can't be me, right?  (Ok, with my track record, it probably is me!)

I recently discovered a hilarious blog, Pinstrosity.  This blog is a collection of everyone's failed pins, with descriptions and photos.  I laughed my face off at a banana bread gone wrong.  Who knew that frozen-then-defrosted bananas could look like poo?

The following is what I would submit to Pinstrosity, after a do-it-myself Halloween wreath went awry this morning:

The Original Pin:
via Mom Endeavors
Adorable, supposed to be easy, and cheap.  My kind of craft!

So in this tutuorial, "Mom" used a tube of pipe insulation to make her wreath, because it was black and cheap ($1.50 for 6 ft, and cut to only use 3 ft of it).  Alright, hubby was going to Lowe's anyways, so I had him get me some of the pipe insulation.   I had already picked up spider webbing and fake spiders at Walmart, and had duct tape (to turn insulation into a circle) and ribbon here.  Let's go!

Well, the main problem with the whole thing was that my wreath would NOT conform into a circle.  This was as close as I could get it:

Not a circle, but not quite a square?
Yikes.  I continued trying to turn it into a circle, and added black electrical tape over the duct tape to hide the gray.  And then I added spider webs and spiders.

Final product.... That is scary alright....


I just could NOT get that wreath form correct.  I could have gotten the spider web to look less clumpy, but finally gave up, realizing I'll have to just go buy a true wreath form and some black spray paint.  Not a terrible fail, but not something I want to hang on my front door either!

And not my first fail either.  I had a delicious fail when I tried to make Oreo truffle footballs for the Super Bowl last year.

Foot-blobs?
Luckily these ones tasted so good, they didn't sit on the table mocking me for too long!

Still fun to try out pins, to get new recipes, decor, fashion, hair, craft ideas, etc.  And if I ever get the money to put my Pinterest Dream Home in action, watch out HGTV!

*****************************************************

Also wanted to post how my mantle came out, from the last entry.  No fail here!


Should I add a little garland or something?
 
Who doesn't love a vase of skulls?


Love free printables! 
 
Ok, heading to the craft store.  Have a great weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment