Pages

Sunday, September 9, 2012

Volunteering

One of my hobbies/passions in life is volunteering.  I don't have a lot of extra money at hand (especially as we go through the adoption process), but I can share my time with those who need the help.

I wasn't always as gung-ho about volunteering. When I was younger/more immature, I wasn't as interested in volunteering, mostly because it was usually a requirement, and what teen doesn't hate being told what to do? I also didn't have a big pick of what I could do, due to age.  But things changed in college.

I loved college, loved it!  But I did get homesick from time to time, including missing my dog and cat back home.  Living in a dorm, those types of pets were not allowed, and the turtle I'd bought as a "pet" was not cutting it.  (side note, did you know turtles can live for decades? Crap!). I one day had the idea to call the city shelter to see if they had any volunteer programs, and wound up a dog walker, going a few times a week to get dogs sunshine, fresh air, socialization, etc. I also got to play with the cats and kittens.  I was helping the small shelter out a lot. But I was actually getting a lot more out of it for myself.  And that is when it clicked.

In the years since, I have volunteered for the Humane Society, Ronald McDonald House, Hands On Charlotte, and more. And I have been lucky enough to work for a company that provides volunteer opportunities for us as well.  And no matter what I do for each organization, I get so much more back for myself.

With the Ronald McDonald House, I help with a volunteer leader committee, studying the ages of volunteers and finding was to connect with them. Because of that, I know that only a small percentage of our volunteers are under 40, or even 50, years old.  It doesn't have to be that way.

I don't write this as a "Go Me!" piece. I write it to try to convince others to give it a try. Not because someone is requiring you to. But because you relate to a cause, and it just clicks for you too.

No comments:

Post a Comment